Indiana has a Unified Tax Credit for the Elderly. If you meet the eligibility requirements, you can claim this credit on your Form IT-40 or Form IT-40PNR income tax return. However, if you aren't required to file an income tax return, there is a Form SC-40 you can file to claim a refund of your Unified Tax Credit for the Elderly.
Harrison County Community Services, Inc. offers assistance to qualifying elderly individuals in filling out form SC-40 to claim their refund from the Unified Tax Credit for the Elderly.
You may be able to claim the unified tax credit for the elderly if you or your spouse meet all the following requirements:
- You and/or your spouse must have been age 65 or older by the end of the tax year;
- You must file a joint return if you were married and living together at any time during the year;
- Your federal adjusted gross income must be less than $10,000;
- You must claim the credit by June 30 of the tax year;
- You must have been a resident of Indiana for six months or more during the tax year; and
- You must not have been in prison for 180 days or more during the tax year.
The credit ranges from $40 to $140, depending on your age, marital status and income, and must be claimed no later than June 30 following the close of the tax year.